Don’t see an event on our Calendar? Click the link below to submit your event and we will add it into our calendar. Give as much information as you can. All non-profits are free to submit. Members of the Destination Oscoda for Success Program are also free to submit. Submit your event by clicking here. You can also scroll to the bottom of this page to enter your event directly into the form.
We process submissions between 9AM – 11AM Monday through Friday so submit your event in advance! Please note that visiting the Outings Page will show Recurring Events, Library Events, and other outing ideas!
- This event has passed.
Alpena Ice Festival
February 12, 2022 @ 9:00 am - 7:00 pm
All events are free & open to the public. Join us for a day of winter fun at Mich-e-kewis Park (9 am- 3 pm) & in Downtown Alpena (5 pm- 9pm).
9:00 am-3:00 pm Mich-e-ke-wis Park (Alpena Ice Fest – Family Fun Day)
9:00 am-3:00 pm: Farmers Market (expanded hours and additional vendors)– warming shelter and bathrooms
9:00 am-12:00 pm: Amateur Snowman Building/ Snow Angel Contest (for kids, families, friends). Awards for largest, most creative, most spirited.
10:00-11:00 am: Dueling ice sculptors – Ice Creations of Napoleon, Ohio
Several other sculptures will be on display throughout the day, including featured sculptures by local sculptor Autumn Bildson and local restaurateur, Jimmy Chen.
11:00 am-3:00 pm: Amateur snowshoe and cross-country ski races (grab your shoes or skis and make a run for it!) Contests organized on the half hour. Bring your own shoes and skis. Thunder Bay Trails Association will have some skis and boots available for use.
12:00-3:00 pm: Huge bonfire – huddle around the fire courtesy of our very own City of Alpena Fire Department!
1,000 free Smores (prepackaged and ready to eat), courtesy of Thunder Bay Arts 50th Anniversary
12:00-2:00 pm: Horse and wagon rides courtesy of Dan Kirchner
1:00-2:00 pm: Amateur fat tire bike races – BYOB and show us how it’s done!
1:00-2:00 pm: Siberian Husky sled dogs – “Gone to the Snow Dogs” courtesy of Jessica Hatch
Plus…all day long from 9:00 am-3:00 pm:
- Fat Freddies Food Truck—featuring TONY BURGERS and much more
- Snow sledding – bring your sled and go for it!
- Ice Bowling – Knock ‘em down
- Ice Frame for Selfies @ the ALPENA Letters Sculpture—courtesy of the Alpena Convention & Visitors Bureau
- 4-H activity and other activities at various intervals throughout the day…
5:00 – 9:00 pm- Fire & Ice Downtown Alpena
- Ice Throne in Culligan Plaza—courtesy of the Alpena Convention & Visitors Bureau and Alpena Downtown Development Authority
- 27 Ice Sculptures throughout downtown sponsored by local businesses
- Fire bowls to warm up by in Culligan Plaza & Pocket Park
- Scavenger hunt of downtown sculptures with a $100 Downtown Dollars drawing courtesy of DDA. Details available here.
- Expanded store hours until 7:00 pm with specials
- Themed Fire & Ice cocktails at downtown restaurants and bars
- Live music from the Alpena Street Performers from 6-8 pm at HopSide Brewery, Mango’s Tequila Bar, Thunder Bay Winery, and Thunder Bay Arts
Grab a hot chocolate or a “hot toddy” from a local restaurant and stroll the Social District downtown looking at ice sculptures while visiting the stores with extended specials. Check out the preview of Restaurant Week!
Disclaimer: The opinions, beliefs and viewpoints expressed by the event organizers on this calendar do not reflect the opinions, beliefs and viewpoints of Destination Oscoda. Attendance and participation are deemed at your own risk and anyone attending or taking part in the event must use good judgement, obey all laws and take reasonable care to avoid any injury to their person or property.